Hill & Piibe, Immigration Attorneys

Slider Image

Work Permits

Work Permits

Work permits do not give permission to be in the U.S.

Contrary to popular belief, a work permit, employment authorization document, or EAD, does not give its holder legal permission to be present in the U.S. A work permit simply allows a person to accept work.

There is no such thing as a stand-alone work permit

Work permits are only available in conjunction with an immigration status that you already hold, or in conjunction with an application before USCIS for an immigration status.  Common immigration statuses/applications include:

  • Asylum
  • DACA
  • Cancellation of Removal
  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • Adjustment of Status to Permanent Residency
  • Spouses/children of certain temporary visa holders


Applying for a Work Permit

At HILL & PIIBE , our immigration lawyers help clients get work permits by accurately completing the application form, and submitting it to USCIS with the appropriate filing fee. Our representation also includes free preparation of your first work authorization application (form I-765), which must be renewed every year.

Work permit applications take about 90 days to process at USCIS. Renewals should be sent 90 days before the expiration of your current work permit.

For more information about work permits, please see the USCIS Website.

Contact us to ask how our immigration attorneys can help with your work permit.



PacMutual Building
523 West Sixth Street
Suite 737
Los Angeles, CA 90014
P. 213.622.8775
F. 213.622.5383
(Spanish language)
Map & Directions


32302 Camino Capistrano
Second Floor, Suite 207
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
P. 949.443.0488
F. 949.443.0490
(Spanish languages)
Map & Directions

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
WordPress theme by Slocum Design Studio